Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Precious Mem'ries, How They Render!

My big sister Beverly recommended that I visit a blog she just discovered called Homesick Texan. She found it while searching for a good refried bean recipe.

Well, as usual, she was right. I really like this blog. I read the strawberry shortcake post, then scrolled down and found How to Render Lard http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-render-lard.html

Homesick Texan mentioned how repulsed she was at first by the mere idea of lard, a.k.a. pig fat.

Immediately I had a Vietnam-era flashback!

I was standing in the midst of a warzone, only it wasn't in Vietnam, it was an oh-so-nasty, burned-out, trashed-up trailer, not far from my childhood home in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. I was about ten years old, and I was staring in fascinated horror at a gallon jar clearly labeled "LARD".

I think Beverly was with me; we trespassed regularly in those days in search of adventure. At any rate, I know I returned to this dump--ooooh, yuck! I just had a smell memory--just for the cheap but delicious thrill of seeing THE LARD JAR one more time.

Thank goodness I grew up in a neighborhood without zoning! Otherwise my life might have been as bland as original Crisco.

No comments: