Friday, July 11, 2008

Lake Charles Diocese Working to Restore Christendom

We lived in the Lake Charles Diocese from 1997 to 2004, so I was so happy to read on Rorate-Caeli this morning about the Solemn High Mass that was celebrated in the cathedral there last week. I don't know who wrote the article, but they did a fine job. What a blessing Bishop Glen John Provost has been for that diocese! Luckily I had already had a heads-up on this great news from my friend Cathy. She had e-mailed me promptly to let me know how beautiful the Mass was. She said that afterward several people asked her where they could attend a Latin Mass on a regular basis.

That was how it worked for my family. We attended one Latin Mass four and a half years ago and were smitten with the reverence, the beauty, the pure Catholicity, the unabashed masculinity. I was deeply shocked that the Church had given up this treasure for the new Mass. Since then we have been back to the new Mass only three times. At first, we saved and nurtured our faith by driving two hours each week to assist at the Latin Mass. When we moved to Texas, we were able to cut that time in half.

I pray that the Bishop Provost's welcoming of Tradition back to Lake Charles will heal a lot of the painful division that existed in the past. My own dear Catholic homeschool group there was torn apart over this issue. It was very, very painful--a tragic loss. It was actually a relief for us when we moved and joined a non-denominational homeschool group. We are the only Catholics, and the Protestants are so welcoming. They don't care which Mass you attend!

May Bishop Provost's example be emulated everywhere, and may God bless him abundantly!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Do you know if the TLM is still being said at Immac Conception in Lake Charles? I'm planning a visit to my sister in Vidor (TX) this summer and I believe this is the closest TLM at the moment.

Wendy Haught said...

Yes, Karen, there is still a TLM in Lake Charles at Immaculate Conception. My son went to Mass there a week ago. I believe it is at 2 pm.