Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Twisted Humor Explained

Emily G commented on my "Pun on a Bun" post and made a good point: "Sometimes, sad as it is, a joke can really only be enjoyed by the person who made it."

I think that is true because our life experiences/worldview play into what we find humorous. I spent a few minutes considering how this affected me when I laughed yesterday about "French cooking" and the "Bilderbergers".


This is what I came up with:

First, I consider French cooking to be an art that developed because of France's role as the eldest daughter of the Church. It is a result of Catholic culture. It is slow food; its preparation and consumption based on relationships. Hospitality, flavor, and quality are more important than price.


Second, I consider fast-food "burgers" to be the symbolic American food. They are fast, poor quality, and are often eaten in the car, alone. Profit is the most important factor. I am indebted to Dr. Marian Horvat for her essay, "Fast Food is Protestant". It was a revelation to me when I read it.


Third, I see the battle between the Catholic church and Satan.. The Church is represented by French cooking and Satan is represented by the New World Order, whose executive officers are the Bilderbergers.


So when Emma presented me with a choice between reading about the Bilderbergers or Mastering the Art of French Cooking, I laughed.

No comments: