Sunday, May 24, 2009

Vinegar

I buy white vinegar in huge plastic jugs. Cheap. And I'm always finding new ways to use it. Today, via Lew Rockwell, I read these vinegar tips. Some of them I already knew, but I sure didn't know about MOLD!

Recently I heard a handyman explain how he uses vinegar in dishwashers to clean up mineral deposits in the working parts of the machine. I've been using vinegar for the same purpose in my drip coffeemaker for years, but this I had never heard of. Since I have to use a rinse agent in my dishwasher anyway, I decided to just fill that receptacle with vinegar. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. After all, the method of cleaning windows with vinegar and newspaper is effective and has been around forever, it seems.

My laminate countertops stain easily. A swipe with a vinegar-soaked cloth takes the stains out.

On Friday, Emma brought in several eggs that one of our Barred Rocks had abandoned after two chicks hatched. They were rotten and left an overpowering odor in the half bath that Emma uses as her candling room. I cleaned the countertop with straight vinegar where she had set the eggs, and the smell disappeared.

No comments: