Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Things I Forgot and the Things I Learned


Concerning the Care and Milking of Emma's Jersey Cow, Fiona McBride:

I forgot

to reach behind the solar panel for Fiona's electric fence and flip the little rocker switch thingy back to the "on" position after I put Fiona up one night;

to check which position the little rocker switch thingy was actually in before I just mashed it to the other position the next morning;

to take the safety precaution of listening for the popping noise that indicates that the fence is electrified before grabbing the gate wires to unhook them and let Fiona out.

Woe is me.

I learned

that being shocked by the electric fence is very painful, especially when it's early in the morning and a complete surprise;

that Fiona is a sweet and calm cow who barely moves as long as you treat her with fly repellant;

that her not moving transforms the milking experience into a time of meditation for me;

that with the combination of my improved milking skills and not having to stop milking because she moved away from me or kicked, I can now finish milking in 30 minutes instead of an hour.

No comments: