Friday, October 28, 2011

My Flu Shot

Nathaniel brought home a cold more than a week ago.  Then Herb got it plus some flu-like symptoms.  Then Emma succumbed and had more and worse symptoms than her brother and dad.  She ran fever, had a sore throat, lost her voice, had sinus issues and was just generally miserable.  She spent a lot of time on the couch with my laptop, germinating my keyboard.  With sickness all around me, I feared I should surely fall ill as well.  On Monday I noticed that my cheeks felt hot.  I started getting an uncomfortable feeling in my throat and this prickly feeling on my neck and face.  I knew I was done for unless I did something drastic.  For me, that's taking cod liver oil.  I had bought this Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil for Emma.  She had given up on taking it, so it's been sitting unused in the refrigerator.  The normal dose is 2 ml, less than 1/2 teaspoon.   I took a tablespoon, though it almost killed me.  It's that nasty.  At least the first dose is.  I don't know what it is about this stuff, but I took a tablespoonful every day, and not only did I not get sick, the dose itself got less obnoxious.  Yesterday,  I barely noticed it, and I did not taste it again like I did on the previous days.  The bottle came with a syringe.  You are supposed to squirt it in the back of your throat so you don't taste it, I guess.  Emma and I both tried it that way when we first got it.  It didn't seem to help.  Maybe now that I've gotten used to the stuff, the squirt method would be full-proof.

No comments: