Thursday, November 10, 2011

Shopping for a Donkey Companion for Fiona. . .

I thought I would just look at jennies (females), as we have had so many bad experiences with mean male livestock--from horses to goats to turkeys.  Interestingly, the first ad I read included this description: "Sweet, gentle and a great mom! Great guard donkey or companion animal too. She will trample and go after anything unusual or NEW that enters the pasture including newborn goats or lambs. . ."  

Try as I might, I could not get the "sweet" and "gentle" to go with trampling newborn goats or lambs.  I hope this is abnormal behavior.  If not, I think I'll give up on donkeys and get a calf of some sort.  Maybe I should start by researching feed consumption.  There's just about no grass left in Fiona's pasture, and hay is expensive because of the drought here in Texas.  I sure don't want to buy something just to keep Fiona company that's going to eat its way through my pocketbook.  I should have known there wouldn't an easy solution.  Any thoughts, recommendations are welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's an 80 or so year old man around here who has quite a menagerie of cows, goats, chickens, cats etc. He keeps a donkey to ward off coyotes and such. I would hesitate to get any animal capable of kicking and biting if it isn't absolutely tractable.