Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Fun with Popovers



I've been wanting to try the popover recipe on the back of the King Arthur's gluten-free all-purpose flour. I finally did last week.  They baked perfectly, but, perplexingly, these popovers would not pop out of the pan.  I had prepared the pan with palm oil.  I don't know if that was the problem, but next time I will try coconut oil.  Anyway, removing the popovers turned into an operation where the surgery was a success, but the patient died.  I managed to rip the bottoms off of most of them.  I was holding one in my hand and mourning its destruction when I realized, "Hey, I have created a bowl!  Yippee!"  I hurried to the stove where I had just finished cooking sausage and making gravy.  I scooped up a sausage patty, dropped it neatly into the popover and then drenched it in gravy.  Ahhhh!  So delicious and filling and comforting.  Later that afternoon I was reading Catholic Cuisine's post about Pope St. Gregory eating cherries on the feast of St. Mark, and I had another brilliant idea.  Two in one day!  Woo-hoo!  I filled two popovers with creme fraiche and cherry preserves.  I took them to Emma's room, and we sat on her bed and gobbled them up.  Between mouthfuls, I related the story from Catholic Cuisine.  Suddenly, I realized I had now made Pope-overs!  Wow!  I'm so awesome!

3 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Sounds yummy! I love popovers but for some reason we don't make them often. I'm going to remember filling them with something other than butter!

Wendy Haught said...

This was actually my first time to ever make them, so I have no idea how they compare to ones with gluten.

Cathy S said...

Yes, you ARE awesome...and not just because you made popovers!!! Miss you and love you!