Monday, September 24, 2012

Manual Food Processor: As Not Seen On TV


I always laugh about these "as seen on TV" promotions.  I didn't see this food processor on TV, and if I did, I would have been less likely to buy it because I'm just a rebel that way.  Ha!  I bought this thing because I was trying to solve two problems: 1. I wanted a quick and easy way to chop basic things like onions, celery, and nuts during power outages and 2. I was looking for a way to chop onions without being totally incapacitated by the fumes or having to wear swim goggles. 

 I was leery of it because everything is plastic except for the chopper and slicer/julienne blades, but it was under $20, had good reviews on Amazon, and it had suction cups on the bottom of the bowl, something its competitor didn't have.  

So I ordered it and have been experimenting with it for the last week.  I will definitely get my money's worth out of this gadget.  It has made short work out of everything I have chopped so far--onions, celery, and nuts.  It really surprised me.  I used the julienne slicer last night to make zucchini noodles, and this morning I tried the mixing blade, a use that I wasn't even considering when I initially was shopping for a chopper.


I usually stir up eggs with a hand whisk, but this did the job more quickly, and the mess was all contained, no drippy whisk to deal with.


I got a little carried away and made a bunch of foam.  I think it worked more efficiently than my whisking technique.  Next time I will mix for half the time, maybe fifteen seconds?

  A lovely bonus is that this is a peaceful way to get some kitchen tasks done.  It's much quieter than an electric food processor.  Heck, it's even quieter than my hand whisk because there is no clinking against the bowl.  I have a Zyliss chopper, the kind that you place over the food you want to chop and then repeatedly depress the plunger.  That thing drives me crazy with the noise, and it hurts my hand after a lot of chopping.  This is infinitely better.  I might buy a second one for the camper.

No comments: