Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Ascension: Accent the Octave



One of the things I am learning about the Liturgical Year is that prior to 1955, the Church celebrated many more octaves than it does now.  As a procrastinator, this has been an exciting revelation to me, because now I have more opportunities to actually do something special if the feast sneaks up on me, which it so often does.

So today, the Octave of the Ascension, I am baking Cloud Bread and Lighter Than Air Chocolate Cake--flourless paleo recipes--and planning a picnic.   I will use the Cloud Bread for sandwiches.  I am going to make the cake recipe into cupcakes because they bake in less time, and I can skip lining four cake pans with parchment paper.  Plus cupcakes are more portable for a picnic, even though it will just be on the back patio.   The cake recipe can also be adapted for dairy-free by substituting coconut cream in the frosting.

3 comments:

It's a Ladner Matter said...

That sounds very yummy. I do like the lighter than air cake; I dont believe I have had the cloud bread. Is it a picnic with your parents and Emma?

Wendy Haught said...

Thanks, Angela. Yes, everybody loves that cake! The picnic will be with Mr. Haught.

I added champagne to the menu. All those wonderful bubbles. :)

Maid Emmaline said...

The bubbles are ascending. ;)