Monday, October 19, 2015

Decluttering and Divorce

One of my sisters recommended a book to me called The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.  I downloaded the audiobook edition and started listening this afternoon.

"In this book, I have summed up how to put your space in order in a way that will change your life forever," states the author in the introduction.  That sounded good.  I imagined my totally decluttered home and how peace-promoting it would be.

Then she recounted praise for the book--wonderful letters from her private-course clients--who said things like, "After your course, I quit my job and did something I had dreamed of doing ever since I was a child."

"Awesomeness!" I thought to myself.  Maybe I should pause right here, grab some garbage bags and start tossing.

Before I could act on the thought, she read the next letter:

"Your course taught me to see what I really need and what I don't.  So I got a divorce.  Now I feel much happier."

Wait.  What?

This woman threw out her husband along with her old makeup samples and Jane Fonda workout videos?  And this is a good thing?  To be used as promotion for the "Konmari" technique?

Maybe I'll just keep my clutter.


No comments: