Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Modest Motorcycle Mama Goes Cross Country, Part 1

In Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming

5,266 miles in 17 days, averaging 310 miles a day!

As far north as Glacier National Park in Montana and as far west as the Pacific coast.

In a skirt the whole time, except for one afternoon when it was storming, and I had to put on a rain suit.

I wore long, full skirts with tights underneath.  It was no problem at all!   I found that the best way to get on the bike was to sit down sidesaddle and swing my right leg over.  This I could do easily while maintaining modesty.  Apparently, my attire did elicit some attention.  Two or three times on our trip, my husband told me via our intercom, "Those ladies like your skirt," as their car passed us.  Each time I asked him how he knew that.  Each time he said that he was sure because they were looking and pointing and smiling.  I'll take his word for it.  In any case, he was really happy and proud, which made me feel fantastic.

Our first full day on the road,  we started with breakfast on a rock in the HEB grocery store parking lot.   So romantic!  I think we were just north of Waco.  We had our own little patch of grass and a wonderful assortment of delectables to savor, including guacamole.  I discovered that I really like guacamole and bananas and coffee for breakfast.



We made our first big stop in Vernon, Texas.  Herb indulged my longing to tour this little museum there.  It proved quite interesting, as it was all about the history of the area and how it was settled by these big ranchers, like W.T. Waggoner.  A giant section of the museum was devoted to scads of exotic hunting trophies bagged by a local man, William A. Bond.  


I really was not expecting to see this in sleepy little Vernon.

The explanation of what happened to our country after the War of Northern Aggression and also the insight into the cattle barons' philosophy (below) was worth the price of admission.  Nothing Catholic here, folks.



One thing I didn't take into account when preparing for our trip:

At the end of the first day, I discover I am a Redneck.

No comments: