Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Eggs Benedict

Nathaniel renders brotherly assistance to his beloved little sister as she and Anna sniff the seasoning on the veggies.



Monday afternoon my friend Gayle used one of the newer Julia Child cookbooks to teach Anna, Nathaniel, and Emma how to make Eggs Benedict. They roasted a mixture of potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots as a side dish.

The most interesting part to me was poaching the eggs. I've only done it in a pan designed for the purpose. Julia said to just drop them into boiling water. Ours was thoroughly seasoned, so the eggs looked off-color when they were removed. This didn't matter in the end because they could be covered with a lovely, light Hollandaise sauce. The cooks struggled with the sauce, thinking that it was too lemony, but it was perfect once its flavor was blended with the stacked egg, ham, tomato, cheese, and English muffin. It was delicious. I look forward to serving it the next time I have my lady friends over for brunch. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the finished product. I was too busy thinking about eating it.

My mom came down and watched for a little while and got a back rub from Nathaniel.










No comments: