Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Waulking Song


One of the songs that Norman Kennedy sang during the waulking at the workshop Emma attended last month was Nancy Whiskey . Norman and all the weavers were pounding and passing the wet wool as he sang, so the atmosphere was much different than in this clip where he is singing only. Still, if you close your eyes and rhythmically lift/drop/pound a wet dishtowel on the table while you listen, I think you will get a good idea of what it was like.

In the song's lyrics below, I believe that Calton refers to the hand-weaving community near Glasgow, famous for going on strike in 1787 to protest wages being cut by 25 percent.

Nancy Whiskey

I am a weaver, a Calton Weaver, I am a rash and a roving blade
I've got money in my pocket and I'm going to follow the roving trade.

Whiskey, Whiskey, Nancy Whiskey. Whiskey, Whiskey Nancy-o.

As I went in to Glasgow City, Nancy Whiskey I chanced to smell,
I went in and sat down beside her. Seven long years I looked her well.

Whiskey, Whiskey, Nancy Whiskey. Whiskey, Whiskey Nancy-o.

The more I kissed her the more I loved her. The more I kissed her the more she smiled.
Soon I forgot my mother's teaching, Nancy had me soon beguiled.

Whiskey, Whiskey, Nancy Whiskey. Whiskey, Whiskey Nancy-o.

Now I arose early in the morning to wet my thirst it was my need
I tried to rise but I was not able, Nancy had me by the knees.

Whiskey, Whiskey, Nancy Whiskey. Whiskey, Whiskey Nancy-o.

Well I'm going back to the Carleton weaving, I'll surely make those shuttles fly,
For I made more at the Carleton weaving than ever I did at the roving trade.

Whiskey, Whiskey, Nancy Whiskey. Whiskey, Whiskey Nancy-o.

So come all you weavers, you Carleton weavers. Come all you weavers where ever you be.

Beware of Whiskey Nancy Whiskey, She'll ruin you like she ruined me.

Whiskey, Whiskey, Nancy Whiskey. Whiskey, Whiskey Nancy-o.

No comments: