Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sing of Mary



Since it is the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary I wanted to share this video of Biebl's "Ave Maria".  It is more than the "Ave Maria", it is the Angelus at its most beautiful.   (It doesn't include the closing prayer, though.)


Emma and I have been working on learning more prayers in Latin.  Singing them makes it so much easier for me.  I just don't memorize things as easily as I used to.  I was thrilled when she found this video, because I can sing along and see the music at the same time, pray, and work on memorization.  It is the ultimate in Catholic multi-tasking.  Oh, and those who sing pray twice, so I am getting an even greater return on my efforts!

I titled this post, "Sing of Mary" which is the title of one of the first Marian hymns I learned after I converted in my 30s.  It is one of my favorites.  Here are the lyrics:


Sing of Mary

Sing of Mary, pure and lowly,
Virgin mother undefiled, 
Sing of God's own Son most holy,
Who became her little child.
Fairest child of fairest mother,
God the Lord who came to earth,
Word made flesh, our very brother,
Takes our nature by his birth.

Sing of Jesus, son of Mary,
In the home at Nazareth.
Toil and labour cannot weary 
Love enduring unto death.
Constant was the love he gave her,
Though he went forth from her side,
Forth to preach, and heal, and suffer,
Till on Calvary he died.

Glory be to God the Father;
Glory be to God the Son;
Glory be to God the Spirit;
Glory to the Three in One.
From the heart of blessed Mary,
From all saints the song ascends,
And the Church the strain reechoes
Unto earth's remotest ends.




No comments: