Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Moon Over My Homies


I went out early one morning recently to enjoy the quiet.



Too bad there wasn't any! 
The cows mooed.
The rooster crowed.
I couldn't walk without being tripped up by chickens or dogs.


 


Except here.  Shhhhh.  Here is my broody hen, quietly, steadfastly, going about her work of starting a family in the tool shed, by the light of the moon.  She, too, had trouble finding quiet.  She started off in a wild place behind the hangar but was discovered by the dogs.  They ate her eggs.  Then she searched out this safe nursery--where she comes and goes via an open window--and started over.  Soon she will have no peace again, but she will be content just the same in doing what she was designed to do.

2 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

And people think it's quiet outside of the city! I hope no one finds the eggs this time.

Wendy Haught said...

I am keeping a sharp eye on the nursery, Kathy!