Saturday, September 14, 2013

Catholicism in the South Radio Broadcast

Dixie can be a lonesome place for Traditional Mass Catholics.  I always assumed that was because the South was never a stronghold of Catholicism to begin with.  Catholic Historian Charles Coulombe says that's not so.  He will talk about Catholicism in the South tomorrow on Restoration Radio's series Catholic History with Charles Coulombe.  

In the interest of full disclosure, I am working part-time for True Restoration as its Social Media Manager, but this is something I would have shared anyway.   I am hoping that the radio program will get lots of callers, so that there can be a lively discussion.  I want to learn a lot more about this important part of Catholic history.  I will be paying particular attention to ideas and attitudes that may help us rebuild the South under the Social Reign of Christ the King.

This paragraph from the show description fills me with anticipation:

What does the antebellum period in the Southern United States tell us about Catholicism, and what happened to it during the War Between the States and in the "reconstruction" years? How is a Catholic to understand the successive chain of events that took the United States from the War of Nothern Aggression of 1861-1865 to the 1960s Civil Rights Movement which produced such figures as Dr. Martin Luther King?

The show starts at 9 pm, EDT/8 CDT.  I'll be glued to my chair with a glass of wine in my left hand, a pen in my right, and a notebook in my lap.  If you can't listen in for the live broadcast, don't panic, it will be available afterwards "on-demand".


1 comment:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I'll have to remind my husband about this radio program, maybe we can listen in when it's on demand. Thanks.