Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Unsubscribe Me


Ever since I wrote Bring Back the Birds, I've been thinking about politics and my participation in it. I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to participate. At all. I don't want to read about it; I don't want to vote; I don't even want to be registered.

It is a big change for me. I used to read about politics daily and expend a lot of effort trying to understand the issues. I volunteered for the Ron Paul campaign, and I worked a precinct on presidential election day. I attended my county convention as a delegate.

However, when I said in Bring Back the Birds that I thought women's suffrage was an attack on the Christian family, I truly meant it. I began to wonder why I was acting in conflict with what I believe. No good answer came to me. So here I am, unsubscribing from all my political newsletters, avoiding headlines, and feeling much more in control of my situation than ever before, because I know that the decisions I make in running my household make all the political statement I need. My husband will take care of the rest.

Now that's empowering.

No comments: