Monday, August 29, 2022

The Antidote to the Technocracy: Immersing Myself in Sumptuous Ladies' Magazines



When the world is too much with me, I retreat into Victoria and Southern Lady magazines. They pile up in tucked away towers around the house for months at a time, unopened. Sometimes even six months fly by with nary a ruffling of the pages by yours truly. 

But then, suddenly, I will feel so dried up and crispy from this worrisome world that I will grab a couple from the stacks and scurry off to the patio, like I did Saturday evening. 

With birds flitting and chirping, chimes resonating, and the horn of a distant train lending a bass line, I melt into the loveliness of elegant words, elevating thoughts, and picturesque scenes. 

I startle myself from my reverie by whispering gorgeous phrases, savoring each word-picture as it rolls off my tongue. 

Oh! A feature story on demitasse spoons! Readers writing in about their lovely book clubs, peopled by ladies endowed with exquisite manners. An article on artful stationery. 

I am charmed and feel the the nectar of life filling my cells, moistening my very marrow. 

I am restored. 

At least until I open my email again.

No comments: